November 4, 2022
Missing teeth truly impacts your life. In addition to the lack of confidence, your everyday functionality is affected, from chewing to speaking. Once your smile becomes complete with dentures, you begin to rely on them as if they are your natural teeth. So, when your denture unexpectedly breaks, it can be alarming. But it is an emergency? Yes, indeed! Here’s all you need to know about what to do if your denture is broken.
Why Do Dentures Break?
There are a few things that can cause your denture to break. Here are the most common causes:
- Accidents— Every time you remove your dentures, you risk dropping them and causing breakage.
- Wear and Tear— Even the most meticulously crafted dentures are not designed to last a lifetime; they can naturally weaken over the years.
- Progressive Bone Loss— Over time, your jawbone can diminish due to bone loss, which can cause your prosthetic to lack become ill-fitting. Without a lack of stability, various pressure points can make your denture crack or break.
- Improper Care— Failure to properly clean and maintain your denture on a daily basis can cause it to wear down more quickly.
What Should You Do if Your Denture Breaks?
If any part of your restoration breaks, from a minor crack to a full fracture, you should call your emergency dentist immediately. Wearing broken dentures can injure your jaw, your remaining teeth, and the inside of your mouth! Fortunately, most dentists keep some time free in their scheduling for patients that need a last-minute appointment.
While there are over-the-counter denture repair kits, it is best to not use them. Without specialized knowledge of dentures, you could cause more damage with your good intentions. In addition, taking matters into your own hands could possibly add more harm to an initially smaller issue. This could result in having to replace your entire prosthetic when your dentist could have just repaired the original denture.
How Can Your Dentist Help?
Visiting your dentist as soon as possible ensures an expedient return to enjoying all the benefits of a complete smile! Here are some typical ways your dentist can help:
- Reline your denture – If your denture doesn’t fit well anymore, or the damage is minor and mostly on the underside, then your dentist can reshape the surface to create a more comfortable fit.
- Replace your denture– Often, a denture that is several years old and severely damaged will need to be replaced entirely.
- Consider an implant denture – If your dentist believes that you’re a good candidate for dental implants, they may suggest an implant denture. Securing a denture onto titanium steel posts embedded into the jawbone, which mimics your natural tooth roots, provides a more stable and long-lasting replacement. Plus, they give your bite power so you can eat all of your favorite foods!
If your denture is broken, there is no need to panic. An emergency dental visit will soon have you back to your everyday life with a complete, healthy smile!
About the Author
Dr. Kenneth Canzoneri has served Arcadia and the surrounding areas for several decades. He provides a full range of dental services, including preventive, cosmetic, restorative, cosmetic, and emergency care. With same-day appointments and an experienced team, he can assist you with any unexpected dental emergencies, including a broken denture! To schedule a same-day appointment, you may contact his website or call (626) 446-1679.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.